Sunday 25 August 2013

Urban Market, Greengate Square, Salford

I must write a little post about my trip to the Urban Market this afternoon at Greengate Square. Just a five minute walk from my flat, it's a recent addition to the Manchester market scene and a welcome one, especially to Greengate Square itself. 




I love a good market and part of my role at Pretty Nostalgic sees me donning a stallholders cap regularly but also championing markets generally. It's so important to support our markets and independent businesses, and what's better than buying a freshly made loaf of bread, street food or a piece of art straight from the hands that made it?

But I must say I'm tired of seeing the same old stalls frequenting the Manchester markets, week in week out. 

The mix of stalls at the Urban Market was refreshing, from street food stalls selling everything from Portuguese wines and cheeses, potted beef, cakes, ice cream, bread,Spanish tapas and the Honest Crust wood fired oven pizza stall, to art and craft stalls selling prints, jewellery textiles and even some splendid looking birdhouses.



The sign of a good market is in how much you buy and we came away with several bags of things including this beautiful print from the Lorna Lucas stall. I was spoilt for choice as there were so many beautiful ones adorned with hares, budgerigars, stoats and other animals. I'll definitely be going back for more!



We also bought this handsome fellow from another stall selling prints...


...as well as potted beef, Portuguese custard tarts and these really tasty Twist & Kick rubs and salt mixes which came with this cool little salt grinder gadget the other half loved.



I'm already looking forward to the next one so will be heading back next month for another mooch. Hats off to the organisers!

http://www.theurbanmarket.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment